Business Achievement Awards
The Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce is pleased to announce a newly structured Business Achievement Awards program to take place on Friday, February 21, 2014, at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre.
We are looking to the community to nominate a business and/or person that has made a significant contribution to our community. If you have received outstanding service, or a new business has impressed you, nominate them now. You can nominate as many companies or individuals as you feel deserve the chance to compete for one of these prestigious awards.
Click on the categories below to see the criteria that the independent panel of judges will use to score the nominees.
Business of the Year (- 10 Employees)
Business of the Year (+ 10 Employees)
Emerging Business (3-5 years)
Excellence in Business (10 years or more)
Exporter of the Year
Spirit of Nanaimo
Young Entrepreneur of the Year (18-35 years)
Rules of Entry
Nominations follow a 2 step process:
Step 1: Nominator
• Nominations can be made by any member of the public, but must not be related to the nominee
• If nominating a business for more than one award, individual nominations must be submitted for each award category.
• The nominator must submit their name, phone number and e mail address in case the judging committee request clarification or more information
• Eligibility criteria is listed below
• All entries will remain the property of the Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce
• Nominations must be submitted by the deadline date of November 15, 2013.
Step 2: Nominee
• All nominees will then be contacted by the Chamber to explain the process
• It is the responsibility of the nominee to ensure that all patents/copyrights are protected.
• Nominees do not need to be members of the Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce
• A business or individual may not receive the same award for three years after they have won it. (Previous winners are listed on our website www.nanaimochamber.bc.ca)
• A business may be a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation
• A business may be small, an independent retailer, a service business, a franchise operator, an agricultural operation or manufacturer.
• A business/individual may submit nomination forms for more than one business
• A business may be nominated for more than one award. The Awards Judging Panel reserves the right to reassign the category of the nomination.
• A business must be nominated by at least two people and they cannot be related to the nominee.
• All applicants must have been in business for a minimum of three years and operate within Greater Nanaimo or its immediate environs.
• Chamber Directors are not eligible to be nominated
The following information is not mandatory, but may positively affect your judging score.
• Letters of support reflecting the nominee’s initiatives and achievements.
• Articles or other media pieces portraying the nominee’s efforts.
• Any other materials (e.g. company reports) illustrating the nominees commitment to developing their business in Nanaimo.
• Applicants are judged using a points system. Detailed answers typically trigger more points; therefore, make your nominations as complete as possible.
• The Selection Committee consists of individuals who may not be familiar with the nominee business, please be clear about what they do and avoid the use of abbreviations and jargon.
• Judging will be conducted by an independent, impartial committee; no Chamber Director nor staff will participate at any point in the judging process
• The Judging committee will base their decision solely on the nominee’s accomplishments as documented on the nomination form
• Each committee member will review the nominations and rate them on a rate scale from 1-3 with 1 (lowest) 3 (highest) in each category.
• The Judging committee will meet as a group and will award points according to the criteria for that category.
• MNP will verify the point tallies and results of the committee
• The nominee with the most points is selected in each category; in case of a tie the committee will cast votes for the tied candidates only
• All decisions of the Judging committee are final
• Recipients will be announced at the annual Chamber of Commerce Business Achievement Awards gala event in February 2014
• Members of the Judging committee are not eligible to be nominated