What is a Chamber Ambassador?
Ambassadors are special people. They are a group of professionals from various backgrounds who serve as a liaison between the Chamber and its members. The goal of the Ambassadors is to encourage meaningful participation in the Chamber's programs and services for new members, in an effort to build member commitment and increase member retention.
These volunteers help to increase the retention rate of existing members by being responsive to members’ needs and reinforcing the value of Chamber membership. Ambassadors encourage member participation in Chamber activities.
Why become a Chamber Ambassador?
Being an Ambassador is an opportunity for Ambassadors and their employers to be in the spotlight. Ambassadors gain business exposure by being the first to meet new Chamber members and put their company’s name in the forefront. By volunteering at Chamber events and attending the monthly meetings, the Ambassador’s business is always involved and kept current on what is going on within the community.
Ambassadors call and visit other Chamber members, attend monthly meetings, recruit other Ambassadors. They also encourage businesses to become Chamber members, and participate in Chamber projects throughout the year. Ambassadors and their companies will be visible at all Chamber functions.
What is required of a Chamber Ambassador?
Ambassadors support the work of the Chamber of Commerce by:
- Promoting the chamber in the community.
- Making members feel comfortable at Business After Business and other chamber functions.
- Attending monthly Ambassador meetings.
- Visiting new members throughout the year to encourage involvement in chamber programs and ensure that the chamber is meeting their needs. This includes actual face-to-face visits to the new member(s).
- Attending grand openings, ribbon cutting events and other community events as may be required.
- Ambassadors are asked to serve for at least one year and most choose to renew their Ambassadorship.
How do I become a Chamber Ambassador?
2012-2013 Ambassador Team
Chair: Elisabeth Reay, Aspengrove School
Dirk Heydemann, Heydemann Art of Photography
Leanna Le Fevre, Canadian Western Bank
Katie O'Connor, Island Radio
Judy Stephan, Nanaimo Magazine
Jessica Thatcher, Supporting Employment Transitions
Debbie Narver, Narver Management Consulting
Kalon Goodrich, Legal Shield
Heather McAlpine, Island Savings
Kim Strynadka, Dominion Lending Centres-Integrity Mortgages and Dale Carnagie
Crystal Hughes, Westcoast Daily Deals
Stephen Wilson, Investors Group
Brian Peterson, Olympic Business Brokers
Chamber Representative: Donna Mercier