Successful Cities Action Plan
Click here for the 2012 Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce Successful Cities Action Plan
Chamber of Commerce Successful City highlights:
A vibrant, Successful City embraces and implements innovative concepts to ensure its future prosperity by introducing forward-thinking policies and action that include integrated cultural, economic, environmental and social initiatives. By creating and adopting a vibrant vision that centres on Successful City attributes, Nanaimo will be well positioned to embrace the 21st Century.
Experience in other cities around the world confirms that a number of key elements affect the success of a city. The following identifies a number of such factors that will likely affect Nanaimo’s success:
• CULTURE OF COLLABORATION: support for respectful and cooperative interdisciplinary processes and varied views to achieve common purpose;
• CULTURE OF INNOVATION: promotion of innovative ways of addressing emerging local and global economic, environmental and social challenges; and
• DISTINCTIVENESS: capturing the sense of place by celebrating geographic location in the planning and design of the city;
• ENTREPRENEURIAL GOVERNANCE: fostering creative and visionary leadership within administrative, elected and volunteer areas;
• MASTER PLANNING AND DESIGN: advocacy for a clear vision and Implementation of a high quality built environment;
• QUALITY EDUCATION: creating synergies across educational delivery models and with local and regional governments.
• QUALITY OF LIFE: recognition that a high quality of life attracts investment, people and innovation;
• SUSTAINABILITY: commitment to meaningful economic, environmental, and social sustainability in policy and action;
• VIBRANT ECONOMY: an economy that has resiliency, builds on local strengths and promotes community well-being.
Nanaimo is well positioned to become a Successful City. But, to ensure its success, it needs to establish a clear vision that integrates the cultural, economic, environmental, social, political and physical development attributes that form the basis for a Successful City.
City of Nanaimo Strategic PlanFrom February 2012 to June 2012, the City of Nanaimo conducted an extensive community engagement process, entitled "Your Voice, Our Nanaimo". A corporate strategic plan defines the business of the organization, clarifies its preferred future and identifies strategic priorities. It is used to inform decision-making and guide actions to respond to the needs and interests of the community.
The Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce's “Successful Cities Action Plan” was incorporated by the City of Nanaimo into their 2012-2015 Strategic Plan, which was approved by Council on July 9th, 2012.
New Collaboration will assist community in building a strong Nanaimo